Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Secret Origin of Quick, the Clockwork Knight

Some people have asked me where I got the idea for Quick. The story goes that while I was working on my first full-length comic book project (a currently unpublished Film Noir detective story), I was drawing a lot of pictures of regular people in a regular city driving around in regular cars and I hated it. I had written the story (which I liked a lot) before doing a single drawing and I suddenly discovered that I had filled the comic with all kinds of things that I did not like to draw. Realizing my folly, I decided that I would start my next comic book project by first making a list of things I enjoyed drawing and then build the story around that. So my list read something like: monsters, knights, robots, dragons, insects, castles, hair, trees, skeletons, and so on and so forth. I looked at the list and saw “knights” and “robots” and thought, “Why not put them together and have a robot knight… or, better yet, a clockwork knight!” And that’s how it all began. 

No comments:

Post a Comment